[CentOS] CentOS PPC architecture support

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 15 00:54:52 UTC 2008

Stewart Williams wrote:
> I have a system with a PowerPC cpu which I'd like to run CentOS on in a
> production environment (albeit for a home personal server.)
>
> Does anyone know if the CentOS team are actually going to support PPC?

yes

> I have found a page which states release 4 is in beta[1]. But little else.
> Is there lack of demand for support for this aging arch?

somewhat. About the same level of demand there is for CentOS s390

> Is there a lack of volunteers?
>
> I'd be willing to test the releases and bug report, or help out in
> anyway I can.

sounds good. What kind of a machine do you have ?

> Fedora has good support, however, I don't really want to update the
> system often.
>
> [1] http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=65

You should be clear that there is no real 'ppc' support in EL at all,
they only support a ppc64 based cpu. However, ppc support is something
that I plan on getting into CentOS. Timeline ? perhaps in sync with 5.3

- KB