[CentOS] yum cannot find bittorent rpm at dag

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 19:22:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 13:44 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am trying to get the x86_64 isos of CentOS-5.2. I wish to use
> bittorrent.  The last time that I did this I required the bittorent
> package from Dag's repository.  I have configured
> /etc/yum.repos.d/DagWieers.repo thus:
>
> [dag]
> name=Dag Wieers RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> #Also see URL http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
> baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
> gpgcheck=1
> # This repo often does not respond in a timely fashion so turned off
> # by default.  Use yum --enablerepo=dag to use.
> enabled=0
> gpgkey=http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
> includepkgs=bittorrent* perl*
> # priority requires yum-priorities. Must also be enabled in /etc/yum.conf
> # and /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf.
> priority=20

I'm 386, but that shouldn't be all that different. Is it possible that
bittorrent is only available as a 386 package?

$ yum list installed \*torrent\*
Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
              : fedorakmod, kernel-module, priorities, tsflags,
versionlock
Installed Packages
bittorrent.noarch      4.4.0-1.el5.rf         installed
bittorrent-gui.noarch  4.4.0-1.el5.rf         installed
libtorrent.i386        0.12.0-1.el5.rf        installed
rtorrent.i386          0.8.0-1.el5.rf         installed

The above makes me think (being essentially ignorant about all this rpm
stuff) that you might need to over-ride your architecture? And I got
then from rpmforge, not Dag's place so I don't know if it's there or
not.

I'm not sure how current that dag repo is. I know that Dag has been
involved in trying to get rpmforge going, some kind of involvement with
other repos, etc.

FWIW, I've this rpmforge setup.

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
# Name: RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 5 - dag
[rpmforge]
name = Red Hat Enterprise $releasever - RPMforge.net - dag
#baseurl = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$basearch/dag
mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge
#mirrorlist = file:///etc/yum.repos.d/mirrors-rpmforge
enabled = 1
protect = 0
gpgkey = file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-dag
gpgcheck = 1
priority=10
# includepkgs=rtorrent.i386 libtorrent.i386 libsigc++20.i386
nvidia-x11-drv

Note that the "protect=0" is needed for priorities to work.

> Then I run yum thus:
>
> # yum --enablerepo=dag whatprovides bittorent
>
> But yum cannot find bittorrent.

I only use the rtorrent, which has the DHT feature, so I really can't
offer any more than what I have above.

Sorry.

HTH
--