[CentOS] Large RAID volume issues

Rob Lines rlinesseagate at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:29:18 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 3:16 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> with LVM, you could join several smaller logical drives, maybe 1TB each,
> into a single volume set, which could then contain various file systems.

That looks like it may be the result.  The main reason was to keep the
amount of overhead and 'stuff' required to revive it in the event of a
server issue to a minimum.  That was one of the reasons for going with an
enclosure that handles all the RAID internally and just presents to the
server as a single drive.  We had been trying to avoid LVM as we had run
into problems using knoppix recovering it in the past.

It looks like we will probably just end up breaking it up into smaller
chunks unless I can find a way for the enclosure to use 512 sectors and
still have greater than 2 tb volumes.