[CentOS] Re: CentOS5 installation crashes

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Feb 15 12:17:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:49 +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> > I think you still need a small /boot partition unless grub will
> > finally boot from LVM.
> that did the trick!  thanks for the tip.  There is no warning dialogue
> to tell you this during the install.  Another thing I noticed is that
> the drive size changes to a slightly smaller size after you create
> partitions.  Seemed a bit strange.

Normal. Default operations for things like fdisk is to operate in units
of "cylinders". The first cylinder often goes completely unused except
for the MBR. The last is often only partially used. In the past when
drives were physically large, small in capacity, expensive, unreliable,
noisy, ... I would manually partition in advance to use every last
sector on the drive. I had no worries about other idiots trying to
follow up on my work then. Or MS Winbloze OS's - I only did *IX as a
rule.

The downside is putting up with stupid messages from utilities
complaining the things don't start/end on boundaries.

Ahh! Those were the good ol' days when we were actually smarter than the
tools we used!  :-[  And our services were not a commodity.

--
Bill