[CentOS] xen domU shutdown and save

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Feb 28 18:13:56 UTC 2008

gen2 wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> Having some trouble discovering how to shutdown domU's without saving
> them. I have some awful power from the grid causing the
> backup battery
> system to initiate shutdown's on dom0, which is the desired result,
> however domU's are saving (which I don't want) and this takes a very
> long time (for whatever reason). As they shutdown, console does this
> .................................on and on while it tries to save the
> domU's, past the point where the battery can sustain the
> dom0. So I need
> a way to consistently, gracefully deal with dom0 shutdowns
> (in a timely
> manner).
>
> I have the domU's in /etc/xen/auto.

Take a look in: /etc/sysconfig/xendomains

Specifically at:

# Type: string
## Default: /var/lib/xen/save
#
# Directory to save running domains to when the system (dom0) is
# shut down. Will also be used to restore domains from if # XENDOMAINS_RESTORE
# is set (see below). Leave empty to disable domain saving on shutdown
# (e.g. because you rather shut domains down).
# If domain saving does succeed, SHUTDOWN will not be executed.
#
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=/var/lib/xen/save

Cheers,

-Ross