[CentOS] error creating Centos 5.1 x32 dum_U instance on CentOS 5.1 x64

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Fri Feb 29 10:43:01 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Are you sure? I've read on a few different sites / emails that people
>> do this, mainly because the 64bit version can handle the large
>> amounts of memory typically found in dedicated servers.
>>

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Virtualization-en-US/ch-virt-hw-support.html
>

> "With Red Hat Virtualization, 32-bit hosts runs only 32-bit
> paravirtual guests. 64-bit hosts runs only 64-bit paravirtual guests.
> And a 64-bit full virtualization host runs 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, or
> 64-bit guests. A 32-bit full virtualization host runs both PAE and
> non-PAE full virtualization guests."

Yes, so I can run 32bit guests on 64bit host,but with full
virtualization. How do I know if a) my system supports it, and b) my
kernel / OS has full virtualization enabled?

I have an intel Core 2 Duo 6750 CPU, which has Intel VT, and it's
enabled in the BIOS, as can be seen here:

[root at gimbli ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2666.742
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc
pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6669.70
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2666.742
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 1
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc
pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6669.70
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

What else do I need todo?

 uname -a
Linux gimbli 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 13:33:07 EST 2008
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers