[CentOS] Re: Switching To Raid1

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Wed Jan 9 17:59:49 UTC 2008

Matt wrote:
> I have this ASUS M2NBP-VM motherboard http://tinyurl.com/3xby3h
> running CentOS 4.4 as a web/email server.  It has a 500Gb SATA2 drive
> with about 32Gb in use.
>
> The motherboard supports hardware raid.  Is there a way to switch to
> RAID1 without reinstalling or loosing any data?

This is probably what we call 'fake raid'.  Better use software than
trying to get it to work with linux.  End result will be the same anyway.

> Also, if I am running raid how do I know if there is a failure on one
> of the drives anyway?  Is hardware RAID1 a good idea?
>
> Matt

In software raid, mdadm sends an e-mail to root when a disk fails.  In
(real) hardware raid, it depends of the make/model, but most can be
configured to send emails when there is a problem.
RAID1 is always a good idea, especially for servers.

Ugo