[CentOS] Switching To Raid1

Dan Carl danc at bluestarshows.com
Wed Jan 9 18:04:47 UTC 2008

Like most here, I would suggest going the software Raid route.
The performance is about the same
As I learned earlier this week you can move a software raid to another
system of even distro.
It totally independent from the server hardware.
To create a Raid just google "mdadm software raid" and you get lots of
information.
As far as monitoring:
Smartmontools will email you when a drive fails or is about to.
Look at /etc/smartd.conf for details.
Just remember Raid is not a replacement for a good backup plan it just
provides fault tolerance.