[CentOS] Could not connect to host box.domain.tld

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Jan 24 19:53:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 19:32 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 24 January 2008 19:22:19 Craig White wrote:
> >
> > http://centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=3
> >
> > there may be a 3rd party repo that has a more recent build available but
> > I am not aware of such.
> >
> I'm told that atrpms has one.  Do the problems of conflicting third-party
> repos still exist as much as they did in FC6?  I already have some rpmforge
> packages.
----
any time you add a 3rd party repo you are increasing the possibility of
conflicting packages. You could however simply enable dovecot for atrpms
and get nothing else and I would assume that wouldn't cause any
problems.
----

> > FWIW, I would recommend using cyrus-imapd for an IMAP server with a lot
> > more features (albeit at a little greater complexity)
> >
> When I started with imap I chose dovecot because it could easily handle both
> mbox and maildir - and I needed it during a change-over period.   That was 3
> years ago, and I've become comfortable with it.  I've set up temporary
> servers twice and a full server once more during that time.  Although I
> started with v.0.99, this is the first time I've had a problem with it.  I'm
> going to sleep on it.  I'm sure that the problem can be solved.
> Thanks for your thoughts, though.
----
well, the opportune time to switch is probably when you are starting to
set up a new mail server.

Dovecot is mostly featureless POP3/IMAP

Cyrus-imapd has built-in...
- quota
- automatic folder, subscription, sieve scripts
- sieve instead of procmail
- automatic actions such as purging folders, search indexing on schedule
- delayed expunge
- shared mailboxes (ACL based)
- public mailboxes
- idled support
- support for virtual users
  (no need to have uses with shell/users folders)
- easy integration with LDAP
- separate directory for mail store (not in users folders)

The theory that I used to select cyrus-imapd is/was the idea that if
e-mail is the power application that everyone needs/uses, why not give
it the maximum performance/features?

Craig