[CentOS] Live CD?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:38:57 UTC 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 13:20:02 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Drives that we have had good
> luck with include: Samsung, SONY & LG. Other's probably work just as
> well. We have other TEAC drives, but they are the last TEAC drives we
> will purchase.

I would add Lite-On to the list.  I've had several, including a stand-alone
DVD recorder, and been highly satisfied with them.

> The CD-R media I usually buy are Imation or Verbatim. Never had a
> problem. There are probably other brands equally good.

Memorex to a range that they call "Memorex Professional" - about 10% more
expensive than their basic range.  I've found that I can let K3B run
full-tilt on them, doing a fast burn and getting good results.  Prior to
finding them I always had to throttle back.

> When I burned the Knoppix Live CDs, K3B burned them at a high speed as I
> recall, but, as has been suggested in prior responses, throttling back
> on the speed probably greatly increases the chance of getting a good
> burn. K3B checks the MD5 sum, as I recall, when it begins the process.

The only problem with K3B is that on some installations it ejects the disk
after the burn, then fails to pull it in again for the verify, so that you
have to manually run md5sum or sha1sum to check it.

Anne