[CentOS] assigning "best" gateway and routing ---- Re: CentOS Digest, Vol 41, Issue 14

Kevin Abbey

kabbey at biomaps.rutgers.edu
Sat Jun 14 15:39:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

Regarding the discussion of gateways,

Can the Vyatta routing software and/or hardware appliance solution help?

(The software is open source and available.)

http://www.vyatta.com/documentation/datasheet.php
http://www.vyatta.com/documentation/general/Vyatta_FAQ.pdf
http://www.vyatta.com/products/vyatta_software_datasheet.pdf
http://www.vyatta.com/documentation/index.php

Download
http://www.vyatta.com/download/

I have not ye used this.  I'd be interested to learn of others
experiences with this.
Kevin

--
Kevin C. Abbey
System Administrator

CentOS Digest, Vol 41, Issue 14

Relevant emails only here:

<49627735003F5C479100225C339F9FE06FDCEE90BD at Mail.activenetwerx.int>

> >What might I do Linux-wise to create a "system" that looked at multiple
> >gateways and then assigned (via DHCP) the gateway that was the least
> >congested?
> >
> >Anyone have any good suggestions in this department?

Your assumption is that the level of congestion would remain unchanged for the
length of the lease? Maybe an alternative is something that hands out one gateway
then decides possibly what ip to masquerade with.

jlc

------------------------------

Message: 7

> > Your assumption is that the level of congestion would remain unchanged for the
> > length of the lease? Maybe an alternative is something that hands out one gateway
> > then decides possibly what ip to masquerade with.

This is a good idea, thanks.  So, I'm assuming that you mean something
like this?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

Message: 8