[CentOS] Pulling Hair Out - TWiki 4.2 on CentOS 5

Chuck chuck.carson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 12:11:02 UTC 2008

Once I build a system and bring it to our defined baseline, I rarely use rpm
from that point forward...I custom roll almost everything -- especially
apache. (red hat's layout makes my skin crawl) When did CPAN become so bad?
It was the defacto standard and source of truth for perl modules 10 years
ago. I trust CPAN over any rpm provided by red hat. Maybe things have
changed, it has been several years since I got down and dirty with perl
modules...

Anyway, problem is solved by changing perl -w to simply just perl. Since
this system is buried behind 2 pix firewalls and only used for internal use
Im not to concerned.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:50 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de<ra%2Bcentos at br-online.de>>
> wrote:
> > Chuck wrote:
> >> I am using the CPAN version of CGI:
> >
> > But why? The perl package in CentOS provides CGI.
>
> ...And here is my favorite quote.  Jim Perrin explains why CPAN should
> be avoided:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-February/075417.html
>
> Akemi

Chuck Carson - Sr. Systems Administrator
Northrop Grumman
Austin, Texas