[CentOS] 5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jun 25 18:05:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:45:06AM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> Thanks to the whole Centos team for all their hard work. You have no IDEA
> how much I appreciate it!
>
> I ran "yum upgrade" last night, rebooted this morning and encountered
> a couple of small problems:
> 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
> box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI shutdown
> dialog. I can offer up machine details should anyone want them.
> 2. Trying to recompile the official Cisco VPN client after the reboot and
> it fails with this info:
>
> # make
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5/build SUBDIRS=/home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient modules
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
>   CC [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
>   CC [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/frag.o
>   CC [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
>   CC [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/interceptor.o
>   CC [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o
>   LD [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o
>   Building modules, stage 2.
>   MODPOST
> WARNING: /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between 'interceptor_dev' (at offset 0xb4) and 'interceptor_notifier'
> WARNING: could not find /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/libdriver.so
>   CC      /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o
>   LD [M]  /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
>
> this ".libdriver.so.cmd" looks like something that should be created on the fly.
>
> I've built this same version for several previous Centos kernels, so this appears
> to be a new phenomenon.
>
> Clues would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

And a third item for the list:
After just rebooting a few times trying various tactics for solving
the first problem above (without success, BTW) when I booted it last
time the GUI desktop comes up with empty panels. The panels are there,
there's just nothing visible on them. I can click on the panel in the
spot where something ought to be, and it is there--the menus open,or
whatever was supposed to happen, and they have visible text--it's just
the panels that are blank.

I should note that I'm using "desktop effects" with an old nvidia
card, in case that matters.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.