[CentOS] 5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 18:27:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:05 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> <snip>

> And a third item for the list:
> After just rebooting a few times trying various tactics for solving
> the first problem above (without success, BTW) when I booted it last
> time the GUI desktop comes up with empty panels. The panels are there,
> there's just nothing visible on them. I can click on the panel in the
> spot where something ought to be, and it is there--the menus open,or
> whatever was supposed to happen, and they have visible text--it's just
> the panels that are blank.
>
> I should note that I'm using "desktop effects" with an old nvidia
> card, in case that matters.

I can't recall the start of this, did you {un,re}install the nvidia
driver? I use the one from rpmforge. Other folks reported the need to
un/reinstall to get it to work right. I saw these before I upgraded, did
it and all is good.

Be aware: the *97*beta driver is for a later model nvidia and won't work
on the *96* series. You'll probably want to use the
nvidia-x11-drv-96xx-1.0.9631-1.nodist.rf.i386
from rpmforge if your card is fairly old.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill