[CentOS] looking for kernel sources

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Mar 4 11:31:31 UTC 2008

Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:07:40PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Tru Huynh wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>>> Caveat: if you make your own kernel, you keep the pieces if you break your
>>> system. Don't expect support here.
>>>
>>> Tru

>> heh, that's funny, but hard to believe that I won't get support for a
>> modified / hacked / changed / "broken" kernel. It's like saying " You
>> can buy the car, but if you change the tires we won't service it" -
>>
> s/buy/get a free/
> s/change the tires/replace engine with one custom-made/
>

>> Dude, that's the mentality of M$ and the likes, NOT Open Source
>>

> Do you possibly have some pointers on how to get a free, legal version of M$
> Advanced Server, get kernel source code and recompile it?
> And perhaps get free support for modified version?
>

>> Besides, VMWare & Virtualbox needs it to install properly on the system,
>> what do you tell them? We won't support you, so your  programs won't
>> work on our system?
>>

> If you need support with modified kernel I am sure you can find it.
> Not necessarily free.
>

>> --
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> Rudi Ahlers
>> CEO, SoftDux
>>
>> Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
>> Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other
>> technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting
>> stugg
>>
> Take care,
>
> Wojtek

His words was "don't expect support here" - it implies that custom
kernel ain't supported. It there's a different support channel for it,
that's fine, but then he should have said so. I've recompiled kernels
before, but that was at least 5 years ago, since then I got lazy (seeing
that Linux has become easier), and this is the first time I needed it.