[CentOS] XFCE, was: pdflatex: fuzzy fonts in Evince, but not on paper output

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Mar 8 20:00:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> R P Herrold a écrit :
>> known issue;  using a similar creation chain, see the xpdf (left) and
>> Evince (right) rendering of the same file:
>>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=291595

> Curiously enough, the problem disappears when I just leave out
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and don't specify anything.

interesting ... I commented out '\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}',
rebuilt my sample case filed in that bug, and at 400% I do not
get jaggies any more either:
 	http://www.herrold.com/evince-400.jpg

So the takeaway is that evince does not handle explicit font
encodings as well as xpdf;  because font encodings are a fact
of life, that may help the upstream 'fix' evince's rendering
when 'fontenc' is present.

I have updated my upstream bug with new attachments.  Thank
you.

> That's one reason why I turned my back on both GNOME and
> KDE, and opted for XFCE which is so much more modular and
> tools-philosophy-compliant in its approach. I'm using plain
> GTK apps as much as I can, so yeah, why not xpdf...

I am a long time, and well known XFCE adherent and advocate in
the CentOS IRC channel, and before.  Some screenshots over
tiem:
 	http://www.herrold.com/axis2100-webcam.png
 		(custom thin client distro for a client's
 		call center, partially based on RHL 7.2 and
 		LTSP)
 	http://www.owlriver.com/support/wings/sparc-xfce.png
 		(pre CentOS, unnamed personal distribution on
 		Sparc based on Aurora 1, pre RHL 8)
 	http://www.herrold.com/snapshot31.png
 		(on cAos 1, which had centos as a sub project
 		back a the very beginnings of centos
 		-- HORRIBLE fonting in that X-top was the
 		reason for the shot)
 	http://www.herrold.com/caos2-xfce.png
 		(on cAos 2 -- fonting issues solved, and
 		centos up and starting)
 	http://www.herrold.com/xfce-406-centos34.png
 		(early centos)
 	http://www.herrold.com/xfce42-centos5.jpg
 		(today with a couple of xpdf, and a
 		freedesktop.org 'brag' shot up)

As you are probably aware, at XFCE 4 became an 'early adopter'
of those standards.
 	http://www.xfce.org/about/
and 'aims to be fast and lightweight' unlike, say, evince,
which tries to be a universal 'Swiss Army' document 'knife'
;)

XFCE forever

- Russ herrold