[CentOS] XFCE, was: pdflatex: fuzzy fonts in Evince, but not on paper output

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Mar 9 18:34:25 UTC 2008

R P Herrold a écrit :

> As you are probably aware, at XFCE 4 became an 'early adopter' of those
> standards.
>     http://www.xfce.org/about/
> and 'aims to be fast and lightweight' unlike, say, evince, which tries
> to be a universal 'Swiss Army' document 'knife' ;)
>
> XFCE forever

I second that. I've been using XFCE since 4.0 on Slackware. I've spent
quite some time configuring an XFCE-based desktop which could be a
complete replacement for, say, Windows XP or Mac OS X. Now here's what
my somewhat customized XFCE looks like:

http://www.kikinovak.net/images/centos5-xfce.png

This is the standard desktop I've installed in our public libraries, and
so far, folks have adopted it. After logging in, the desktop launches
and consumes no more than 57 MB RAM (compare: over 600 MB for Windows
Vista :oD).

The only thing I painfully miss is a burning app in replacement for K3B.

Cheers,

Niki