[CentOS] Python 2.4 on CentOS4?

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:06:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 03:55:06PM -0400, Eric B. wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Has anyone managed to find a Python 2.4 rpm binary that can be installed on
>  > CentOS4?  I'm running CentOS4.6 and an application that I want to use
>  > required python 2.4 or greater.  All the CentOS/RHEL4 python rpms that I
>  > find are all for python 2.3.  I can't seem to find anything that works with
>  > CentOS4 libs.
>  >

>  I think pyvault (google for it) may be your best bet as far as a
>  somewhat clean RPM-based implementation.  However, I don't know how
>  maintained it is and the docs for getting it set up correctly were
>  pretty non-existent last time I checked.
>
>  Maybe someone knows of a "better" way.

I don't but I strongly suggest that you do NOT replace the base python
packages with a newer version. A lot of core tools (like yum) depend
on python. So replace the base python package with a newer one could
very well break your complete system. As Eric suggests find a way to
install python 2.4 besides the core python in a seperate place so you
don't start mixing them.

Regards,
Tim

--