[CentOS] Python 2.4 on CentOS4?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Tue Mar 11 20:08:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:06:00PM +0100, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 03:55:06PM -0400, Eric B. wrote:
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > Has anyone managed to find a Python 2.4 rpm binary that can be installed on
> >  > CentOS4?  I'm running CentOS4.6 and an application that I want to use
> >  > required python 2.4 or greater.  All the CentOS/RHEL4 python rpms that I
> >  > find are all for python 2.3.  I can't seem to find anything that works with
> >  > CentOS4 libs.
> >  >

> >  I think pyvault (google for it) may be your best bet as far as a
> >  somewhat clean RPM-based implementation.  However, I don't know how
> >  maintained it is and the docs for getting it set up correctly were
> >  pretty non-existent last time I checked.
> >
> >  Maybe someone knows of a "better" way.
>
> I don't but I strongly suggest that you do NOT replace the base python
> packages with a newer version. A lot of core tools (like yum) depend
> on python. So replace the base python package with a newer one could
> very well break your complete system. As Eric suggests find a way to
> install python 2.4 besides the core python in a seperate place so you
> don't start mixing them.

Yeah, definitely a can of worms.  I will note that the pyvault RPM's do
seem to have a lot of packages geared towards keeping functionality
working -- including making use of 'alternatives'.  I've tried it and
everything appeared to work, but.. who knows? :)

I wouldn't do it on a production system anyways.

Ray