[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Toby Bluhm tkb at MidwestInstruments.com
Fri Mar 14 13:08:42 UTC 2008

Therese Trudeau wrote:
>>> You can turn on write back caching if you have a UPS as well
>>>  (provided your UPS is wired into your system for a graceful shutdown)
>>>
>> Hopefully you have a redundant PS unit. Having a UPS is not going to
>> help if your PS fails.
>>

> That's a very good point never thought of that.  Acrtually this RAID 1 setup I'm planning
> is for my desktop machine, problem is is's not built like a server so there is not the traditional
> slid in bay for a second PS as do many 1 and 2u rack servers have.  Unless there is some
> specialty product available that somehow fits in to a tower case.
>
> Could you reccomend a redundant PS for a desktop machine (if they exist)?

The whole system needs to be designed for dual supplies. You can't just
plop down two power supplies in parallel without some circuitry that
attempts to monitor & balance them out.

I'm curious - why does your desktop needs so much redundancy ?

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.