[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Toby Bluhm tkb at MidwestInstruments.com
Fri Mar 14 13:34:16 UTC 2008

Toby Bluhm wrote:

>>> Hopefully you have a redundant PS unit. Having a UPS is not going to
>>> help if your PS fails.
>>>

>> That's a very good point never thought of that.  Acrtually this RAID
>> 1 setup I'm planning
>> is for my desktop machine, problem is is's not built like a server so
>> there is not the traditional slid in bay for a second PS as do many 1
>> and 2u rack servers have.  Unless there is some
>> specialty product available that somehow fits in to a tower case.
>> Could you reccomend a redundant PS for a desktop machine (if they
>> exist)?
>>

> The whole system needs to be designed for dual supplies. You can't
> just plop down two power supplies in parallel without some circuitry
> that  attempts to monitor & balance them out.
>

> I'm curious - why does your desktop needs so much redundancy ?

Just for fun, the first hit on a google for "redundant atx power supply"

http://www.directron.com/tc400r8.html

Seems you can just plop one into your std atx chassis . . .

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.