[CentOS] Re: CentOS] Skype on CentOS 5 - my microphone settings are incorrect

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 17:07:37 UTC 2008

On 15 March 2008, Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org wrote:
<snip>
>In the Gnome mixer, make sure that the "Microphone" and the "capture"
>microphone icons are NOT MUTED (a red is is muted) .. also change
>devices to the OSS Mixer and in the capture tab, check the microphone
>icon for microphone is also not muted there.

Johnny:  I think I have that OK. In the Skype Options for the Sound
Card, I unchecked allow Skype to change the Mixer settings. Also, I took
off the 20 dB boost for the mic.

In Sound Preferences > Devices > Audio Conferencing > Sound Capture > I
have it set to OSS. Am I correct, to have that set to OSS?  When I did a
test, I got this error message:

gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink
profile=chat: Unable to open device /dev/dsp for recording: Device or
resource busy

When I try to do a test call, with the Skype robot, when they would play
back what I have recorded, I get 2 beeps, with only 1 or 2 seconds in
between them. When I try that on MS Windows, there is about 10 seconds
where I can listen to what I have recorded.

Your time and your help are greatly appreciated as are the countless
hours you devote to CentOS!   Lanny