[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 07:54:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>  > On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>  >
>  >>  =================================================================
>  >>
>  >>  The rest is available for review at the linked address ... but it is
>  >>  very clear that if you have any RHEL subscriptions, then you must pay
>  >>  for them all.
>  >>
>  >>  How one could read that any other way is beyond me.
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  > The usual idea is that because its "Free" Software you can't restrict
>  > it in anyway... and that the 'Freedom' trumps any other license or
>  > agreement. And I will bet that if you have enough money, there will be
>  > lawyers who will come up with ways to argue that is a valid
>  > interpretation.. and will argue it over and over again as long as you
>  > have money.

My wording of the above was poor. I in no way think that those people
have a valid argument. I have just heard the argument enough times to
recite it on the whole, you can't impose additional restrictions blah
blah blah, without them understanding the fine 'line' of what that
means or where it is enforced.