[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Sun Mar 23 08:22:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>  If you enter into a legally binding contract, then you waive your rights
>  as specified in the contract.

IANAL I don't think that is possible. According to the GPLv2:

"4. You may not copy, modify, *sublicense*, or distribute the Program
except as expressly provided under this License. *Any attempt
otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License.*
[...]"

"6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions.  *You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein*.
[...]"

(Emphasis added.)

The GPL is very explicit that no further restrictions can be imposed on
sources or binaries. So, I guess the Red Hat license as quoted by
Johnny would void their rights to distribute the affected GPL software.
As such, I can only conclude that the quoted Red Hat license applies to
some non-GPL packages.

-- Daniel