[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 27 15:58:32 UTC 2008

on 3-27-2008 3:21 AM Anne Wilson spake the following:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2008 22:37:38 Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-26-2008 2:22 PM Anne Wilson spake the following:
>>> Nope - mine was a clean install.  In the morning I'll do a compare with
>>> my settings, but I use a very simplified [global] as recommended for my
>>> situation in Samba 3 by Example, so many of those settings will not be
>>> there. With any luck I might find one that helps.
>>>
>>> Anne
>> Have you both made sure that your xp clients aren't using simple file
>> sharing? That disables credential passing and instead passes guest with no
>> password.
>
> I haven't even tried an XP connection since I installed CentOS, but I'll check
> that out when I do.  Meanwhile, getting it to work correctly for the linux
> boxes is more important.
>
> Anne

Why use samba to share anything for linux boxes?
You can share the same directory structure with nfs for the linux boxes and
have much less trouble.

It seems like a kludge to use cifs to share between two linux boxes.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and