[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:40:20 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 15:58:32 Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-27-2008 3:21 AM Anne Wilson spake the following:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2008 22:37:38 Scott Silva wrote:
> >> on 3-26-2008 2:22 PM Anne Wilson spake the following:

> >> Have you both made sure that your xp clients aren't using simple file
> >> sharing? That disables credential passing and instead passes guest with
> >> no password.
> >
> > I haven't even tried an XP connection since I installed CentOS, but I'll
> > check that out when I do.  Meanwhile, getting it to work correctly for
> > the linux boxes is more important.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Why use samba to share anything for linux boxes?
> You can share the same directory structure with nfs for the linux boxes and
> have much less trouble.
>
> It seems like a kludge to use cifs to share between two linux boxes.

Because I would have to do samba anyway, as windows laptops from other family
members want to access from time to time.  They always bring them to me if
any configuration work or maintenance needs doing, and even to work on my LAN
when their network is down for any reason.  In particular, one directory that
I samba share is a repository that my daughter and I both need access to, and
its content changes fairly often.  I didn't want to have to run two systems
for sharing.

Anne