[CentOS] the "official" lightweight desktop environment for CentOS?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Mar 29 09:31:01 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei a écrit :
> I want to build a dedicated MythTV box using CentOS5. I need a
> lightweight desktop environment, something extremely simple that does
> not use much memory. Gnome and KDE use way too much memory and are too
> complex for what I want to do.

X! F! C! E!

I've been using XFCE since 4.0 (currently it's 4.4.2), and since last
December or so, I'm running it exclusively on all my desktops, at home
and at work.

http://www.kikinovak.net/images/centos5-xfce.png

After logging in, XFCE takes 49 MB of RAM (YMMV), so it's rather
lightweight.

You have to enable the [extra] repos to get XFCE.

I have some documentation on http://www.microlinux.fr about tweaking and
fine-tuning XFCE under CentOS, but it's in french.

Cheers,

Niki