[CentOS] Re: ext3 filesystems larger than 8TB

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon May 5 19:37:08 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 5-5-2008 11:41 AM Ross S. W. Walker spake the following:
> > Florin Andrei wrote:
> >> Hm, last time I tested ReiseFS turned out to be the best FS for that
> >> situation. But it's been a while, perhaps things have changed a bit.
> >
> > Yeah, but reiserfs is all but dead these days. At least I wouldn't
> > plan a long-term deployment around it...
> >
> And Hans Reiser's legal woes are deeper than ever.
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/28/2243232&from=rss
>
> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9930857-7.html
>
> But here in California a man can spend most of his life in appeals.

Even though the technology would still be around even if Hans isn't,
there has been a lot of pain trying to get reiserfs to continue to
work well in the kernel tree from release to release. It's very
tempermental, so I don't know if it will last much longer, especially
given the slew of existing file systems that don't need such
work to maintain.

ext4 is being previewed in Fedora 9 this month, so add one more to
the list.

I heard the Reiser FS is going to be replaced with the Peterson FS ;-)

-Ross