[CentOS] Re: ext3 filesystems larger than 8TB

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon May 5 21:16:25 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> > on 5-5-2008 11:41 AM Ross S. W. Walker spake the following:
> > >
> > > Yeah, but reiserfs is all but dead these days. At least I wouldn't
> > > plan a long-term deployment around it...
> > >
> > And Hans Reiser's legal woes are deeper than ever.
> >
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/28/2243232&from=rss
> >
> > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9930857-7.html
> >
> > But here in California a man can spend most of his life in appeals.
>
> Even though the technology would still be around even if Hans isn't,
> there has been a lot of pain trying to get reiserfs to continue to
> work well in the kernel tree from release to release. It's very
> tempermental, so I don't know if it will last much longer, especially
> given the slew of existing file systems that don't need such
> work to maintain.

Well I wanted the facts about ReiserFS in the kernel and so I poked
and googled some more and the part about the maintenance of reiserfs
in the kernel was unfounded hearsay. The real reason it is being
phased out in distributions (not the kernel tree) is the questions
surrounding it's long term survival without Hans and Namesys to
provide support for it.

> ext4 is being previewed in Fedora 9 this month, so add one more to
> the list.
>
> I heard the Reiser FS is going to be replaced with the Peterson FS ;-)

There is a punch line in there somewhere, but my mind just isn't
that sharp today.

-Ross