Subject: [CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed May 7 22:19:50 UTC 2008

mail.gmail.com>

Mhr wrote on Wed, 7 May 2008 14:04:55 -0700:

> Not being familiar with 'locate,' I found its man page rather
> intimidating at first glance.  I'll have to study it a little more
> carefully, but I should also note that I ran locate to find my kernel
> rpms and was unsuccessful (whereas, though slow, I did find them with
> 'find').

The locate db is skipping only /tmp I think. It makes use of an index,
that's why it's so fast. updatedb is run by cron.daily to update the db.
If you get something in in-between it won't be able to find it, of course.
In such a case you run it manually.
Then "locate whatever". Note, that locate doesn't know any wildcards, you
can only search for literals. For searching for your kernel rpms you could
either use
locate kernel (which will find a lot ...)
locate .rpm (which will find all rpm files, which is much less)
and then:
locate .rpm|grep kernel
/var/cache/yum/updates/packages/kernel-headers-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.i386.rpm
/var/cache/yum/updates/packages/kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.i686.rpm
/var/cache/yum/updates/packages/kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-
53.1.14.el5.i686.rpm

> All else aside, I can't count the number of times I've had my head
> handed to me right here on this list for failing to look something up
> before asking about it.

One should at least try that, yes. I think your answers were all fine, I
just wanted to say that I agree with Ralph about the find options and the
usability of that page ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany