[CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

lannyma at gmail.com lannyma at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:51:46 UTC 2008

On 5/8/08, Kai Schaetzl <maillists AT conactive DOT com> wrote:
<snip>
> hda3 and hda9 are your Linux LVM partitions, maybe they belong to one volume
> group, I don't know (your fstab would tell more, there's also a graphical
> frontend for LVM in your desktop).
>
> >From your grub.conf we know that it thinks it's installed on (hd0,2), but
> hd0,2 is hda3 (if I understa
nd that correctly) and that is LVM, and grub
> can't  > boot from LVM because grub boots the kernel and only that knows about >LVM. > So,  > you are probably booting from hda8, but it's not in your fstab as >the  /boot > partition.

> What does a "df" say? Does it list hda8 among the partitions? Probably not?

[root at compaq1300 ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      10696956   4597688   5547128  46% /
/dev/hda3               102486     22174     75020  23% /boot
tmpfs                   257260         0    257260   0% /dev/shm
[root at compaq1300 ~]#

> Mount it and have a look at that partition, does it contain the same stuff
> as
> your /boot partition? If not mounted, do:
> mkdir /mnt/hda8
> mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8
> cat /mnt/hda8/boot/grub/grub.conf
> Does this look like the grub.conf that is the *real* one booting your
> system?

[root at compaq1300 ~]# mkdir /mnt/hda8
[root at compaq1300 ~]# mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8
[root at compaq1300 ~]# cat /mnt/hda8/boot/grub/grub.conf
cat: /mnt/hda8/boot/grub/grub.conf: No such file or directory
[root at compaq1300 ~]#

Kai:  Before I got the above data this morning, I let PUP
download/install the latest kernel (2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.i686) but after
rebooting, it comes up with the original kernel that is on the CentOS
5 Install DVD  I used last November. Not surprising that it does not
boot this newest kernel. The download/install seemed to go perfectly,
so the "Subject" changed from yum not updating the kernel to where is
the proper boot file.... When it boots Linux, CentOS gives a message
something like booting root (hd 0, 7). TIA, Lanny