[CentOS] Centosplus vmware kernels....???

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 28 01:59:40 UTC 2008

Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>> Thanks to Tru, kernel-vm is all up-to-date and you can find it here:
>>
>> http://people.centos.org/tru/kernel-vm/
>>
>> and yes, using the clocksource=pit option should not be an issue with
>> these kernels.
>>
>> Akemi
>>
> So if I understand this correctly, one should not be using a stock
> kernel when running inside a vm, but should use the kernel-vm kernel?

It depends on the host hardware and OS - many combinations have trouble
servicing the 1000hz guest clock which has to be simulated in software.
  Also, some host systems have variable speed CPUs controlled by power
managment which throws off the guests:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1591

--
   Les Mikesell