[CentOS] Updates in same major version number ?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri May 30 22:25:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 23:54 +0200, Emmanuel Fournier wrote:
> May be already asked, sorry so !
>
> But what is the best method when updating between
> 4.4 and 4.5
> or
> 4.4 and 4.6
> or
> 5.0 and 5.1
>
> Is it ok to update only with 'yum update' cmd, with no risk ?

Yes. It is the standard way endorsed by the maintainers. They only
recommend against upgrades to new releases (e.g. 4.x->5.x).

I've gone from 4.2 (IIRC)->4.3->4.4...4.6 with almost no problems. The
only one requiring extra work was when the sqlite (IIRC) got updated.

Also keep in mind if you mix repositories, use priorities and/or include
and exclude commands in the repo files.

> Thanks you for your support,
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH