[CentOS] kickstart problems

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Sep 1 15:03:27 UTC 2008

Paolo Supino wrote:

>   Has anyone encounter this problem and has a solution for it?

Network autoconfiguration failed, most likely there is not
a compatible driver for the network card in your system.

If there is a driver disk for that NIC you can use that, what
I typically have done in the past is build an updated driver from
source and insert it into the installation program which is a
fairly complicated process involving extracting the initrd, the
modules.cgz inside of it, putting the compatible driver built
against the same kernel into the modules config and recompressing
the modules file, updating the pci device table for the new device,
and rebuilding the initrd. Also adding a step in the %post section
to install a compatible driver with whatever kernel the installer
ends up installing so when the system reboots it has network
connectivity.

I also repeat the first part of the process where I insert the
kernel, again in the stage 2 netinst.img? file(forgot off hand
exactly what the file is called), it may not be required for
network drivers, but I think it is for storage drivers, I forget,
been a while since I had to do it.

nate