[CentOS] pxe menu help

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 4 03:40:26 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> So instead of leaving it to default routines which can change or may be
> unpredictable,
> how does one force the mappings of menu assignments when clients connect or
> at least
> set it in a reliable manner I can document?

By MAC address, pxeboot by default will look for config files
that are named after the mac address of the system that is
booting, if it doesn't find one it falls back to defaults.

I haven't tried esx 3i myself yet, but kickstarting ESX 3
was similar to red hat kickstart with anaconda and stuff,
I did all my configuration by hand afterwards because of
the trunked/tagged network ports which aren't compatible
with PXE, and I surely didn't want to risk an automated
install to run with multiple LUNs exposed from the SAN to
the system!

nate