[CentOS] Java install

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:32:23 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> While using Fedora, I always used java straight from Sun. What is
> recommended for CentOS?? Getting jetty, java and other java apps working
> correctly has been a real chore. If I used nothing but RPMs for CEntOS,
> would I have a real working java install? I need some help on this one
> badly. Ric

For your sanity's sake, I'd recommend just dropping the Sun binary(ies)
under /usr/java/java-version-number and use explicit paths and JAVA_HOME
and CLASSPATH settings when starting the programs.  Otherwise you'll
have trouble if you need more than one jvm version.  The Sun RPM package
doesn't set up the expected symlinks that the alternatives system uses
and the Centos repos don't have a copy that works either.  There are
some other RPM-packaged versions around but they may or may not do the
right thing with alternatives and even if they do, that scheme can only
work with one jvm version at a time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com