[CentOS] Custom build kernel patch fails big time.

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Sep 12 21:01:01 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am trying to build a custom kernel for the HIPL code
> (infrahip.hip.fi), using the patch for the Linux 2.6.18 kernel.  I

Your problem is likely because Red hat already applies
10 bazillion patches to the kernel for their packages, so
there's little chance that the patch from that site will
apply cleanly.

So you, or someone will have to fix the patch, or go download
the raw kernel sources that the patch is for and use that
kernel instead knowing that you'll likely have other problems
that Red Hat's patches were designed to prevent.

Welcome to the development world of linux 2.6. I miss the older
model they used on 2.4 and earlier. Now distributions are expected
to maintain the stable kernels, which is fine until you need/want
to do something like your trying to do. In the past this
was much easier.

Fortunately I haven't had to patch the kernel for years.

nate