[CentOS] Don't forget to use torrents for your downloads!

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Apr 2 16:53:05 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:
>> here is a bit more trivia for those interested: the 4 main 'seeds' that
>> came up were each running with 100mbps open uplinks. Atleast one person
>> in the early stages was running at 200 odd mbps.
>>
> geez, makes me wonder if I should even bother to leave mine running with
> a 50kbyte/sec uplink ca (thats about 500kbps)...

If you can - you should. The costs of running those torrents at 100mbps
is way too high to run over any sustained period of time ( and they are
all offline now ). So once the first rush has spread out - the whole
user experience is totally driven by the other users part of the deluge.

Normally, I'd keep 1 machine running from within .centos.org to make
sure there was always atleast 1 seed for each of the torrents. And that
machine runs only at 10mbps, for all the torrents and is also a part of
other services within centos.org

- KB