[CentOS] Don't forget to use torrents for your downloads!

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Apr 3 07:19:34 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of Michael A. Peters
>Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:56 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Don't forget to use torrents for your downloads!
>
>> I think my ISP at home has done something with regard to p2p. I can't
seed
>> at home anymore for some reason... 8-/
>
>Mine limits me to 40k up - leave it running long enough though, and it
>is easy to give back several times what you took.
>
>As far as home networks, I found that when I was running NAT on Linux
>(RH8 through FC2 days) - bt really screwed up my home network. However,
>when using hardware routers, even the cheap consumer kind (Linksys) the
>home network is fine. I think bt is very hard on software routing.

I use Smoothwall as a router/firewall appliance at home. It has worked fine
before. Besides, I seed from Windows XP at home. Before, while seeding
worked at home, I capped at approx 50kbps using Smoothie 's QoS-features and
it worked like a charm.

But yes, bt *is* giving me grief at work where I'm trying to set up a CentOS
5.3 seeding machine with iptables. The university helpdesk told me they use
"tcp established"-filters for inside machines going out and blocks most
everything from incoming. The normal way I guess. And it does work from
Windows, but linux - no... 8-/

I've used the below as a base for setting this up, but I'm not there quite
yet.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-iptables-open-bittorrent-tcp-ports-6881-
to-6889.html
--