[CentOS] warning for nis users and 5.3 upgrade

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:35:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 14:04 -0700, Joe Pruett wrote:
> i think that previous versions did this as well, but for sure the newest
> ypserv in 5.3 replaces /var/yp/Makefile with a new copy.  needless to say
> if you've made any changes to that file, you will not be happy.  we had a
> couple hours of phone calls after passwords stopped working.  the original
> file is save as Makefile.rpmsave, so recovery of the file is
> straightforward.
>
> the issue has been flagged upstream and it sounds like it should be fixed
> before any new updates to ypserv are made.  /etc/ypserv.conf is another
> file that can get overwritten.

Although it would sure be nice if *all* updates to config files could be
counted on to not replace customized/local ones, this has not been
reliable at all. After each upgrade, I normally post about this as a
reminder. This time I thought "Everybody knows by now". Sheesh. So here
it is again.

Folks, be sure to do an updatedb and then locate rpmsave and rpmnew
after upgrading the system. Then you can make sure your local changes
get propagated into the updated system.

> <snip sig stuff>

Belatedly,
--