[CentOS] the 5.2 loaders

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:42:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Just looking around at log files and other places, I noticed today that
> there are still a lot of people installing and downloading 5.2.
>
> While a large number of installs would be since people already have the
> 5.2 media - thats fine, however, new downloads for 5.2 media today makes
> little sense ( to me ) - so whats going on here ?
>
> What can we do in order to better, faster, more visibly communicate the
> fact that 5.3 is the new target most people should be focusing on.
>
> I cam imagine there are people with specific needs and they would want
> the 5.2 media - but not a number so large, that its almost 80% of all
> the people downloading 5.3 these days.
>
> - KB

The centos.org page doesn't have a news section in any obvious place,
and the CentOS 5 section only just has the version number updated.  If
someone were not following the mailing lists or missed the
announcement that one day on a news site, they might not notice that
5.3 was out.

It could be people downloading from links that are hard coded to 5.2.
If you can see the referrer pages, that would probably help track that
down (though only for http downloads).

Also, even though 5.3 should be completely compatible with 5.2, it
doesn't mean that IT departments believe it, or at least need to go
through internal testing before changing their internal process to use
5.3.