[CentOS] Update from 5.2 to 5.3 kernel not on mirror

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Apr 8 03:00:53 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Update from 5.2 to 5.3 kernel not on mirror
From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:46:21 PM
>> Interesting.....I thought that i686 used instructions only available
>> on later processors, i.e. i486 and pentium III do not have the later
>> instruction set to accept compiled code for i686.....
>> I'm no expert, but that is why there are i386, i686 and x86_64 type
>> packages to cater for various processor types.
>>

> pentium-III is a i686, as is pretty much everything since Pentium Pro
>

> i386 - 386
> i486 - 486
> i586 - pentium, pentium w/ mmx
> i686 - pentium pro, p-II, p-III, p4, core/core2/etc.

I simply mentioned the CPU type because it had been done previously by
the op. I'm confident the issue has nothing to do with the CPU or kernel
type. The issue appears to be with some (or all) of the mirrors under
certain configurations. I was hoping someone with more yum/mirror/repo
experience would be able to spot the problem if I squeaked - I'm sure
it's something I can work around, but I wouldn't want it to impact others.

--Blake