[CentOS] FreeIPA

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:06:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 23:42, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> Fedora 10 has 1.2.0 src
> rpm but it has a requirement of popt-devel which I couldn't find for
> CentOS-5.

CentOS5's "popt" package contains the development libraries and
headers. rpm -ql popt shows that libpopt.a, libpopt.so and popt.h are
there, so you should be able to safely remove that dependency from the
specfile and build it from there.

> When I commented out the requirement for popt-devel in
> the spec file, of course it wouldn't build anyway (ldapi-plugin-winsync
> didn't seem to me to be related to popt-devel but who knows).  ;-(

Definitely not related.

Have you looked into the CentOS Directory Server instead?
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/DirectoryServerSetup

I don't know if that one contains all the components of FreeIPA, but
at least the main ones should be there.

> It would seem that if Red Hat were serious about freeipa, they would
> make it so that it actually could build a non-ancient version on RHEL
> (CentOS).

As usual, if you want cutting-edge it will be in Fedora. If you want
stable it will be in RHEL/CentOS.

It seems to me that FreeIPA is a quite contained and integrated
package, and it makes sense to have dedicated machines to run it. Why
don't you just use FreeIPA itself instead of trying to shoehorn its
packages into CentOS, ending up with something that will probably lack
the advantages of both parts?

HTH,
Filipe