[CentOS] Trouble with 5.2==>5.3 upgrade

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Apr 8 17:19:42 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Trouble with 5.2==>5.3 upgrade
From: fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Date: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:58:28 AM

> but since the file appears to download fine, it wouldn't be a case of
> "not on mirror", would it?
>

>> I worked around the issue by updating the kernel through RPM vs yum,
>> then performing the yum upgrade.
>>
>> The issue is not a proxy (as we do not have one installed, nor one
>> upstream) - and, as you mentioned (and was the case with me), the
>> upgrade worked fine on several boxes on the same network. The problem
>> appears to be with the CentOS repos, affecting anyone on CentOS 5.2 with
>> an older kernel trying to upgrade directly to 5.3 (as far as I can tell).
>>
>> --Blake

Well, while it is on the mirror - Yum will not download/install it. I
was able to download fine via wget and install via rpm.  I believe the
yum error "Package does not match intended download" is likely a better
indicator of the problem and the following "Requested Range Not
Satisfiable" errors are a byproduct - perhaps an error in yum or a
library it uses.

I just found a thread entitled "Update fails with "Package does not
match intended download"" on the Centos PHPbb forums and it has a fix
(have not tried myself). The fix is to disable the fastestmirror plugin
by editing the /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19479&forum=37

I also found reference to the same error and problem during the CentOS5
-> 5.1 release. I'm not sure what the fastest mirror plugin is doing
(perhaps caching old data?), but it does not seem that it is being
tested thoroughly by Q/A during these respins.

Perhaps this clue will help others...

--Blake