[CentOS] rt3 3.8.2 latest version as rpm for C5?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Apr 17 06:02:18 UTC 2009

Am 17.04.2009 um 05:16 schrieb Mark Pryor:

> After trying for 2 hours, I ran into 3 brickwall-issues. Like you
> found, there are two base perl modules which require newer versions
> than that which comes with 5.3. These modules are
>    File::Temp  and Encode   (core)
>
> cpan2rpm can package them OK, but there are fatal transaction check
> errors when installing.
>
> Mr. JV is the author of RT3 and DBIx::SearchBuilder. The
> SearchBuilder module also stopped me (briefly) with a dependency on
> DBD::Oracle. To grab this from CPAN requires the supporting Orable
> Libs. I altered the spec and removed any Oracle depends.

Shouldn't it only have this dependency, if you actually use the Oracle
backend?

> These 3 issues were enough to cause me to give up.

Just compile perl yourself and install it somewhere into /opt or /usr/
local.
That's a lesson I learned 5 years ago - while you should work with the
distro and not against it, you should also work with the software you
want to install and not against it.
The other thing I learned back then is that it installs flawlessly on
FreeBSD - and FreeBSD doesn't rely on Perl and Python to run the base
OS.

Rainer