[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 01:41:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:33:18PM -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
>> Yes, I checked that site.  The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
>> links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
>> it wouldn't work.

Been there, done that - one reason I recommended avoiding Canon printers....

> Try
>
> http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0027213.asp?model=
>
> (found from http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010455.asp )
>
> Even includes a nice rpm which has a cups PPD driver :-)

If this works, go for it.  Does this mean that Canon is coming around,
finally?  Two years ago, they didn't acknowledge that Linux was
anything other than a nose-up-turner....

(I'd still stick with Brother or HP.  If the Canon ink cartridges are
the newer, electronically aware/controlled kind, I'll be surprised if
you don't want to switch soon enough anyway.)

Best of luck anyway.

mhr