[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 20:19:21 UTC 2009

Bo Lynch wrote:
> Just wanted to get some thoughts from the list.....
>
> We are a public k-12 school and are looking to migrate to a groupware
> style system for out staff to collaborate better. Currently we are using
> Squirrelmail/postfix for email. Does anyone have any
> recommendations/opinions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've been evaluating some packages for my employer the last few months.
The two products I have narrowed it down to my needs are eGroupware and
Zimbra.

So far, I'm leaning towards Zimbra, because it seems to offer a nice
e-mail system with an easy to use interface for users. There is a
community edition and a commercial edition.

<http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html>

I too am currently using Postfix and Squirrelmail, and would like to
keep using Postfix as the primary transport system. There is a way to
configure Zimbra to act as a secondary system forwarding mail to
Postfix, but I can't find the link right now.

There are also methods to migrate to Zimbra from Squirrelmail using some
imapsync scripts to migrate the mailboxes.

By itself though, it seems to have a nice and powerful mail system with
all the features of anti-virus, spam, etc.

eGroupware works great too, so make sure you check it out, but I'm
thinking of leaning towards Zimbra for my needs.

<http://www.egroupware.org/>

Check them out.

Regards,
Max