[CentOS] After BIND update owner changed and restart failed

Scott Mazur centos at littlefish.ca
Tue Jan 13 14:08:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:31:19 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote
> Craig White wrote on Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:45:22 -0700:
>
> > by default, BIND will ignore attempts by clients to register dynamic dns
> > after getting an ip address from dhcp - that is what is being logged.
>
> so, the
> Jan 11 16:38:00 chacha named[11307]: client 192.168.1.228#1994: view
> internal:
> update 'bolera.lan/IN' denied
>
> is just normal logging that I can't avoid?

AFAIK the DHCP client has no authority to register dynamic dns regardless of
how the client machines are configured.  It's the DHCP server that decides to
update BIND and this can be turned on or off.  My guess is your DHCP server is
configured to update BIND when clients get new leases.  Hence the errors
reported by BIND when these attempts are made.  Read up on the man pages for
dhcpd.conf.  In particular review the ddns-update-style and ddns-updates options.

Scott

--
Registered Linux user #395249, http://counter.li.org
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!