[CentOS] After BIND update owner changed and restart failed

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Jan 14 16:31:26 UTC 2009

Scott Mazur wrote on Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:08:22 -0600:

> AFAIK the DHCP client has no authority to register dynamic dns regardless of
> how the client machines are configured.  It's the DHCP server that decides to
> update BIND and this can be turned on or off.  My guess is your DHCP server is
> configured to update BIND when clients get new leases.  Hence the errors
> reported by BIND when these attempts are made.  Read up on the man pages for
> dhcpd.conf.  In particular review the ddns-update-style and ddns-updates options.

Hm, man says that "ignore client-updates;" is what I want to set. However, this is
already set in the file. I just checked my logs again and now I know why I didn't
ever notice it before. It seems that happened only from Jan. 8 to 11. Not before
(as far as log goes back, which is only four weeks), not after. I did the named
update on Jan. 11, but this seems to be coincidence. And it's been always the same
client. Go, figure.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany