[CentOS] acroread = resource hog

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 15:26:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 00:58 -0500, Ed Donahue wrote:
> Any have trouble with acroread taking up massive cpu and memory?

Not here.

> I exited my Firefox browser and the lil bastard was still hogging up
> my resources.

I don't see it here. Maybe I need to look next time even though I see no
adverse symptoms after use.

> Took up 69% of 4GB, and wouldn't let go, until a kill -9 showed'em,
> have to do it every time I open a pdf in firefox.
>
> Any use Xpdf or something else?

I've tried the others and don't find them suitable for me.

I don't know if my configuration is comparable to yours, but I'm on 5.x,
fully updated, i386, 2GB ram, FF 3.x fully up-to-date, and the acroread
is

$ rpm -q AdobeReader_enu.i486
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i486

> <snip sig stuff>